Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thursday Tutorials: Creating Your Page

The previous tutorials - prior to missing an article for last week - covered how to find the "Create a Page" buttons as well as how to chose the category your page falls into.  Today, using this blog as an example, I will walk through how to create a page for a website/brand/product.  The process is pretty much the same for the other categories - but if specific tutorials for each category are wanted, I will need to be able to create a page for a specific category.

That being said, we'll start with the very first step, finding and clicking on the click page button - as seen below.


Once you click that +Create a Page button, this page below will pop up where you can chose the category you want your page to be in.  If you are confused on this, please check the article found here for additional information as to what types of pages go where.


Since I'm creating a page for my blog (aka Website), I selected the Brand or Product category from above.  Then in the drop down menu for selections there, I chose Website, as seen below.


After that is selected, I typed in (what was then) the name of the blog (as seen below).


Once I hit the "Get Started" button, that's when I discovered I had to change the name of my page.  Long story short, there is some programing within page creation which will prevent you from creating pages with certain names.  Using the term "Facebook" in a page name is forbidden - which should have been an "oh duh" moment for me, but I hadn't really considered it before I started the blog.

If you hit the "Get Started" button and a red error message pops up similar to the one below, click on the "Learn More" to figure out what you might have done wrong, then change the name of your page - as I did.


Thankfully, Social Media Marketing: Tips and Hints was permissible and available, which is why the blog's address and name changed to that.  Finding the name was allowed, hitting "Get Started" Takes you to this next page.

This was my first draft of what I put in the description area.  You are limited to a certain number of characters, so be sure to be concise about what your page is for.  I redid this and ended up with a shorter blurb and a way to add in my blog address.  Note: If you put in a web address, it will automatically link in the page's description - a great way to hopefully get people to click to your site if they stumble across your page.

Now, I failed to get screenshots of the next two steps, but they are relatively easy to walk through.

Your profile picture, or avatar, is the image that will be seen in the feed of folks who liked you.  Facebook requires the size to be at least 180x180 in size, but you can use almost any size, just as long as it resizes right and looks good in the square.  Facebook has options for you to select what you want people to see if the image doesn't resize right.  If all else fails, I strongly encourage you to spend time on selecting your image and making sure it looks right.  

Most importantly, don't worry if it doesn't look right or you decide that's not the image you want to use.  You can always change it after the page is initially created.

Once you have the image uploaded and selected, you move on to the final phase, adding your new page to your Favorites section.  That will make your page show up as seen below.


Once that is done, you hit the final button and it will take you to a pretty sparse page, but it's been created and your name has been saved.

Our next article will continue in the same theme of this page, but with customizing your page that you just created.

Thursday Tutorials are a series of tutorials designed to help people who may not be as Facebook savvy as other people.  Some tutorials will be targeted towards newbies to the social media world, others will include tutorials for more advanced users.  Thursday Tutorials are written for the layman and are designed with everyone in mind.  You can find all the Thursday Tutorials by clicking on the Thursday Tutorials tag below.

No comments:

Post a Comment