Wednesday, February 25, 2015
Microblogging is the opposite of blogging, which consist of relatively long posts. Microblogging is really short blog posts expressed via text, images or video. Microblogging's appeal is both its immediacy and portability because posts can be written or received with a variety of devices, including cell phones. Twitter and Tumblr are two great examples of microblogging. There's even a site dedicated to Microblogging called Microblogger.com complete with a newsletter and podcast about microblogging.
Some people even consider Facebook's status updates a form of microblogging, which I suppose is true if you keep your statuses short and sweet - and we all have that one friend who definitely doesn't do that, right?
Wednesday Words are a series of definitions released on Wednesday each week regarding a word found specific to Facebook's social media platform, or may be a generic word dealing with social media. These definitions are to help provide you with a better understanding of common and uncommon terms associated with Facebook and social media. You can find all the Wednesday Words by clicking on the Wednesday Words tag below.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
What this means for you is you need to update your marketing materials, including but not limited to your business cards, receipts, emails, signs, window art, kiosk art, etc. You can include just your address, or if you're really tech savvy, add a QR code that takes them to the social media platform where they can easily like you and go from there.
Once you have the marketing materials redone, be sure to pass it out and let people know verbally that they can find you on these social media platforms.
Every bit of promotion helps and sometimes hearing it and then seeing it will get them to follow you.
Tuesday Tips are a series of tips released on Tuesday each week regarding a hint or tip to help you manage and market your Facebook presence better. You can find all the Tuesday Tips by clicking on the Tuesday Tips tag below.
Monday, February 23, 2015
Don't worry! Each week (when I have time) I will be featuring 3-5 jobs currently available as of Monday. Additional sites will be linked at the very bottom of the article and listed as sources. Other sites may be listed as well.
Here are this week's job listings I found interesting:
Loyola Press is still searching for a Social Media Specialist in Chicago
Loyola Press is looking for a new Social Media Specialist with experience in social media creation and management to assist the Interactive Communications Manager in developing content, communities, and voice for all online and social media channels. Responsibilities include:
- Creating multiple social media “voices” for Loyola Press
- Building content: writing, researching, and/or assigning long- and short-form articles and other types of online content such as videos, art, or animations.
- Understanding digital strategies to effectively share content across online channels
- Managing internal and external teams for writing and design needs, sourcing freelancers, creating and maintaining schedules, and communicating specs or guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, or other communications-related field
- 2+ years of marketing and social media experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and process skills, as well as an eye for detail
- Knowledge of Catholicism and/or experience working for a Catholic organization
McMurry/TMG is hiring a Social Media Journalist in Phoenix
- Partner with AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT team to develop and execute strategies and tactics to grow digital audience reach and conversion
- Create (and/or oversee the production of) content assets, including articles, slideshows/galleries, interactive quizzes, data visualizations, social content, videos, and immersive interactive experiences
- Work with AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT team to come up with strategies for search engine optimization, social media, and editorial partnerships
- Work with internal and client teams to create or coordinate campaigns, PR outreach, event calendar, and other key marketing initiatives
- Establish and manage relationships with bloggers, journalists, and industry influencers
- Build and engage communities in the consumer technology space
- Help manage the specific project audience team, which also includes the assigned audience engineer and digital designer.
- May be tapped to help with new business pitches and current inhouse projects, as needed.
- Comprehensive understanding (and passion!) for consumer tech, particularly smart home technology
- Impeccable writing skills and editorial judgment: from crafting must-click headlines to curating must-know content to creation of must-read articles and everything in between
- Deep knowledge of SEO, social platforms, influencer outreach and email
- Ability to communicate effectively and with grace under pressure.
- Experience creating online, designed-to-be-shared videos
- Team player who loves to collaborate
- Passionate about media, technology, and communications
- Experience in a newsroom environment or media-like culture
- Familiarity with content management systems, social software, Google Analytics and other audience development tools highly preferred
- Experience in any of the following verticals is preferred but not required: Travel, Consumer and/or b2b Technology, Health/Wellness, Education, Retail, Finance and Lifestyle.
For more information: http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter-jobs/jobview.asp?joid=177068&page=1
Move, Inc., is hiring a Social Media Manager in San Jose, CA
- Create, curate, and manage all published social media content including writing, images, and video on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and other social media outlets
- Work closely with the rest of the editorial team to promote their content on social media platforms on a daily news cycle, from breaking news to fun eye-candy features to in-depth housing trend analysis.
- The ideal candidate will use journalism skills to find and collect information for the editorial team to use in original content creation, as well as bring new ideas to the table on how to use social media to increase and improve the reach and reputation of Move’s brands, with a focus on the flagship realtor.com site. Implement and maintain the brand’s voice across all social media
- Monitor, listen, and respond to users in an engaging way
- Identify opportunities for social-media-driven stories and work with the rest of the editorial team to create them
- Plan graphics (charts, illustrations, etc.) for use promoting stories
- Prepare weekly status reports on best/worst performing social media posts and campaigns
- Foster relationships with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and other social media outlets
- Identify emerging social media platforms that need to be jumped on and experimented with
- Contribute to and maintain an influencers’ database
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience with demonstrated success in social media strategies, community management, community building, and outreach
- Extensive knowledge of all social media platforms and tools. Must have a solid understanding of and previous experience with content, engagement, and conversion strategies
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Must be able to write with a given audience in mind about luxury homes, celebrity real estate, and market trends, keeping communication clear, concise, and—most importantly—engaging
- Must be flexible, with the ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities and timelines in a fast-paced work environment. Ability to work under tight deadlines with short turnarounds
- Self-starter, constantly thinking proactively and identifying new opportunities
- Project management and excellent organizational skills
- Experience creating multimedia pieces including graphics, pie charts, and infographics using programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are a plus
For more information: http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter-jobs/jobview.asp?joid=177032&page=1
- Media Bistro Job Listings (note not all the jobs listed here are social media positions):http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter-jobs/?c=stnav
- LinkedIn Social Media Job Listings: http://www.linkedin.com/job/q-social-media-manager-jobs and http://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/j?keywords=socialmedia+manager or http://www.linkedin.com/job/q-social-media-marketing-jobs or http://www.linkedin.com/job/q-social-media-strategist-jobs
- CareerBuilder: http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobs/Keyword/Social-Media-Manager/
- Indeed.com: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Social-media
- Simply Hired: http://www.simplyhired.com/k-social-media-jobs.html