Wednesday, August 6, 2014
The generic, non-social-network-specific, definition is a feed full of news. With social media, we can use the term "news" loosely.
For Facebook, your news feed is what you see when you first login to Facebook. It's all the posts from friends and families that they've posted as well as some posts from the pages and people you follow/like. With Facebook you have the choice of reading Top Stories or Most Recent - and yes, it has a tendency to default to Top Stories randomly when you aren't expecting it and you have to tell it to go back.
Twitter's News Feed is called Timeline - not to be confused with Facebook profile Timelines). This is where you can see everyone's tweets and retweets of people you follow as well as sponsored Tweets you may be interested in. This is different from your profile where you see only your tweets.
Google's news feed is your "home" page in Google+.
I'm not sure if there are other "news feeds" out there, but those are the three dominant ones.
Wednesday Words are a series of definitions released on Wednesday each week regarding a word found specific to Facebook's social media platform, or may be a generic word dealing with social media. These definitions are to help provide you with a better understanding of common and uncommon terms associated with Facebook and social media. You can find all the Wednesday Words by clicking on the Wednesday Words tag below.
Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Managing your followers and who you follow should be a daily routine. If you have a number of folks follow you on Twitter, check them out, see if their interests are similar to yours and if they are, return the favor and follow them. Same is true on Google+. You can add people to your page's circle, just like they can add your page to their circles.
You can also like other businesses as your Facebook page. This is an important way to get your name out there.
Finally, you can also follow folks on Pinterest and Instagram.
Yes, it takes a little bit of time, but if you spend 10-15 minutes each day keeping up with it, it will help out a lot.
Tuesday Tips are a series of tips released on Tuesday each week regarding a hint or tip to help you manage and market your Facebook presence better. You can find all the Tuesday Tips by clicking on the Tuesday Tips tag below.
Monday, August 4, 2014
Don't worry! Each week (when I have time) I will be featuring 3-5 jobs currently available as of Monday. Additional sites will be linked at the very bottom of the article and listed as sources. Other sites may be listed as well.
SENSIS is looking for a bilingual Social Media Manager/Junior Planner in the Greater Los Angeles area.
- Develop social media community plans for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTubePinterest and any emerging platforms
- Design content calendar and social campaign for the brands’ owned communities, partnerships, and field marketing activities
- Oversee and manage posting of content
- Create textual and basic image-based social media content
- Leverage current social listening platforms to monitor online conversation and identify potential partnerships and influencers
- Identify opportunities and recommendations for activity in online platforms
- Manage projects across departments to ensure strategies and communications are consistent and integrated
- Reply to consumer questions and comments on various social media platforms.
- Work with internal teams to field product questions when required and respond accordingly
- Develop and execute upon content optimization plan to improve post performance over time
- Identify and proactively outreach to consumers who may have an interest in company products
- Develop influencer outreach plan and targets based off of identified qualifications
- Liaise with communications team to coordinate outreach to online influencers, aimed at driving buzz for the brand and social media programming
- Help build and organize planning projects and materials including:
- Creative inspiration and stimulus
- Briefs and briefings
- Develop working knowledge of clients business including the category, the competitive environment, brand equity etc
- Works with other planners/vendors to design and execute consumer research
- Analysis of data/consumer output from primary and secondary research to come to thoughtful and inspiring conclusions
- Evaluates the metrics of projects success and delivers strong recommendations based on the outcome.
- Writes presentations and supports presentation writing materials for his/her team
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience a must
- Degrees in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Anthropology, Visual Design, Computer Programming or related fields
- Must possess an expert knowledge and technical understanding of social media networking channels
- Previous experience in the successful planning, implementation and management of social media campaigns
- Experience developing social media metrics, tracking results, gleaning insights from data and reporting
- Entrepreneurial spirit, creative personality and proven experience of working in a team
- Deadline oriented and flexible enough to adjust to new opportunities as they arise
- Ability to manage heavy workloads and rapidly shift priorities based upon the organizational needs
- Stay current and forward thinking on new social media tools and platforms, best practices and use within the competitive landscape.
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Fully bilingual in English and Spanish, with experience crafting copy in both languages, particularly for social media
OppenheimerFunds is looking for a Social Media Manager in downtown Manhattan.
- Develop strategy for the company’s corporate and personality-driven social media presences
- Drive innovation in the Company’s use of social, interactive, and mobile experiences to engage multiple audiences
- Set guidelines and best practices for content contributors across the firm
- Develop new ways to use social media to position OFI as an industry thought leader, improve user engagement, increase firm and product awareness, etc.
- Drive proactive community engagement efforts and direct the Company’s response to comments across owned and third-party outlets
- Influence the creative direction of campaigns during development, to enable optimal execution in social channels
- Oversee content development for all social channels, including writing and producing social posts when needed
- Develop social first content and content types that complement our broader marketing campaigns, philanthropy and branding efforts
- Be up to speed on daily news and work with Investment Services team to identify topics and 3rd party content that we can support and/or opine on from an investment perspective
- Partner with Corporate Communications to lead social media response to crisis situations
- Inform user experience of off-channel social executions (advertising units, apps, third-party platforms, etc.)
- Work with internal and agency analytics teams to track, measure and analyze social media performance against goals and establish new metrics where standards do not exist
- Collaborate with the digital teams and senior management to articulate business needs to support the selection of appropriate social enabling technology and resources
- Continually evolve social strategy and platforms as new opportunities become available
- Manage relationship with social media agency, and work with cross-functional agency team representing paid media, public relations, creative development
- Manage Social Media Associate, who is responsible for social media day-to-day operations
- BA/BS degree
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years in the digital environment; 3+ years in social media
- Experience with navigating a regulated environment
- Financial services experience a plus, Asset Management experience a huge plus
- Exceptional at building and presenting concepts/programs for internal stakeholders
- Effective written and verbal communications
- Strong client management, facilitation, concept development, project leadership and communication management skills
- Ability to mobilize, supervise and motivate teams
- Expert project management skills
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and see things through
- Proven ability to work in white space and manage through ambiguity
- Innovative mindset, with clear demonstration of bringing unique ideas to life
- Strong collaborator with a proven ability to influence and effectively manage multiple stakeholder interests
- Data-driven mindset, experience using clear measures to inform decision-making and sell in ideas
- Client-centric mindset, experience with user-centric methodologies a plus
- Experience managing people a plus
- Experience working with external or in-house creative/Agency teams
For more information: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=15431222&trk=jserp_job_details_text
George Washington University is seeking a Media Relations and Social Media Manager.
- Writes and edits media materials (press releases, announcements, expert pitches, advisories, statements,etc.)
- Pitches the media and responds to all media inquiries
- Provides staffing for media interviews
- Coordinates with the MFA/Hospital/External Relations/ Milken Institute SPH to coordinate all media efforts
- Fosters positive relationships on behalf of SMHS with members of the media-through interpersonal communication and social media
- Trains collaborators across SMHS on social media techniques and tactics
- Manages the social media presence for SMHS and ensure that SMHS takes advantage of social media trends
- Manages social media analysis
- Compiles media reports for SMHS leadership, external relations, and stakeholders
- Keeps SMHS web presence up-to-date with all press materials and media placements
- Builds relationships with SMHS students,faculty, and staff to learn about news we can promote
- Provides media training to our faculty
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree in English, Mass Communications, Journalism, or other appropriate field, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience is necessary.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in media relations, public relations, or related area,preferably in a higher education environment is necessary. Proficiency with a personal computer as it relates to word processing is necessary.
For more information: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=17862288&trk=jserp_job_details_text
- Media Bistro Job Listings (note not all the jobs listed here are social media positions):http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter-jobs/?c=stnav
- LinkedIn Social Media Job Listings: http://www.linkedin.com/job/q-social-media-manager-jobs and http://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/j?keywords=socialmedia+manager or http://www.linkedin.com/job/q-social-media-marketing-jobs or http://www.linkedin.com/job/q-social-media-strategist-jobs
- CareerBuilder: http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobs/Keyword/Social-Media-Manager/
- Indeed.com: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Social-media
- Simply Hired: http://www.simplyhired.com/k-social-media-jobs.html